From ‘declaration to action’ at Ministerial Conference for Sport and Physical Education
MINEPS VI -UNESCO’s sixth international governmental conference on physical education and sport – took place from 13th to 15th July in Kazan, Russia.
This event gathered nearly 500 participants, among them more than 50 sport ministers and senior officials representing 115 UNESCO Member states, as well as representatives of involved international sports organizations.
One of the outcomes of MINEPS VI is the Kazan action plan, which encourages countries to act in three main policy areas:
- Developing a comprehensive vision of inclusive access for all to sport, physical education and physical activity
- Maximising the contributions of sport to sustainable development and peace
- Protecting the integrity of sport
The UFIT Global Team – UNESCO Chair & IHRSA– were present at the event and endorsed the action plan. Also, a poster was showcased in the Poster Exhibition, which provided an opportunity to disseminate and discuss the programme with attendees.
MINEPS VI is expected to mark a shift from declarations of policy intent towards measurable action. Consequently, rather than adopting another declaration, the conference is devoted to agree on a plan of actions to which the ministers commit.
How can UFIT help to move towards measurable action?
- UFIT is providing a tailor-made, innovative solution aligned to international policies such as the UNESCO International Charter of Physical Education, Physical Activity and Sport (2015), the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2006).
- UFIT affiliated health and fitness clubs will be involved in a movement for social change that aims to transform not only the sports and fitness industry but also communities.
- UFIT clubs will provide testimonials of people with disabilities experiencing an inclusive service in their communities.
- UFIT resources will facilitate the development of capacities to foster inclusion at health and fitness clubs.
- UFIT can support local, regional and national governments to facilitate inclusive access for all to fitness.